Thursday, April 9, 2009

Valencia

I am often asked how I came to specialize in 'pet portraiture'... and although I have always had a passion for photography and strong connection with animals, I think the two really merged when my cat Valencia was diagnosed with cancer. We had a very special connection. I had a gazillion snapshots of him. But I had a panicky feeling that I wanted something 'deeper', something more of his essence that I could remember him by in photos. So I spent the last 6 months of his life documenting him, and all the little 'parts' that I wanted to remember. As we'd lay there I would think "how will I remember this little wet nose, or the how he tucks when he sleeps"...

I believe that is where my passion for abstract 'pet parts' emerged, not just pet portraits. I love doing portraits, but I believe that those little parts speak to those of us that love our pets. The ears, the nose, the eyes, the tail, the paws... We feel them in these photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment